Founded out of Harvard and MIT in 2002, Dimagi is an award-winning global technology company with an impact-focused business model that delivers open source technology to help under-served communities in over 60 countries around the world. Our team of exceptional software developers, engineers, public health and development specialists, consultants, and field staff apply their experience to further public health and well-being.
Dimagi is seeking a Project Director to drive one of our ground-breaking, large-scale mHealth projects, which are transforming community health systems across multiple Indian states in partnership with central and state governments. These projects have the potential to impact health and nutrition service delivery for millions of underserved people all over the country.
The ideal candidate will have experience managing a multi-state ICT deployment in India. This person will be both patient and relentless in pushing for results. She will manage and enable a bright and motivated team of Dimagi staff. She will also manage a network of governmental, inter-governmental, and NGO partnerships for the ultimate success of the overall program. She will appreciate new challenges and enjoy a diversity of work, day-to-day and week-to-week.
The successful candidate will drive industry-changing improvements to healthcare delivery with central and state governments on national level projects. The position will include some travel around India, both to larger metropolitan areas for partner meetings, as well as under-served communities where frontline health workers are using our products to improve health and well-being. You will join our world-class team to learn and share best practices and expertise from across the globe.
Compensation will depend on level of experience and qualifications but will be competitive with local rates. We request a 2-year commitment for this position, but employment is at-will according to company policies.
- Keeping on top of a range of moving work streams, managing who is working what and that limited staff resources are properly prioritized.
- Preparing and maintaining a detailed project plan outlining the activities, necessary steps, risks, and dependencies as the project progresses
- Partnership and Program management, working with a network of partners and vendors, setting expectations on roles and responsibilities, and collaborating with them for the ultimate success of the project. This includes managing government partnerships, including expectation management, scope management, explaining technical concepts, and building strong rapport
- Constant communication and coordination with a far-flung team across multiple time zones. Expect many meetings and much e-mail.
- Planning, monitoring, and capacity building for ongoing rollout and implementation of the ICT system across multiple regions
- Providing strategic direction, to maximize our expected impact
- Support and mentor a dynamic team of development specialists to enable their effectiveness and ensure their satisfaction and growth
- Reporting and communicating to funding and other partners
- Liaising with a technical team on application use, maintenance, feedback, and updates
- Leading team meetings to review project progress, ensure quality implementation, coordinate tasks, and mitigate risks
- Coordinating the definition of requirements, design and development of CommCare implementations
- In keeping with Dimagi’s culture as a flat organization, working alongside Field Managers in building applications, visiting community field sites, and training partner staff
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, able to adapt her communication style to a diverse array of stakeholders
- Well-organized and able to juggle many things at once.
- Adaptable and interested in wearing many different hats
- Ability to excel working in a cross cultural team environment, building consensus at all levels of an organization
- Strong, innovative and creative problem solver
- Excellent time management and high throughput, efficient working practices
- Comfort with unstructured problems
- Commitment to delivering open and innovative technologies to help underserved communities in India and beyond
- Quick learner
- Familiarity with the software development life cycle
- Fluent in oral and written English
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering, technology, public health, or other related fields
- 8+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience managing the scope, timeline, and quality of large projects while navigating complex multi-stakeholder environments collaboratively
- Experience managing people directly, including fostering their growth and development
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Significant preference for experience working with the Indian government on IT projects
- Significant preference for fluency in Hindi
- Understanding of project management methodologies and tools like Teamwork and MS Project
- Knowledge of the Indian health system
- Practical experience designing technologies for low-resource settings
- Experience managing sub-grantees, subcontractors, and vendors
- Experience working in an international team
Other Job Perks
- Team Summits. The entire team will get together at least annually to meet each other, discuss goals, debate strategy, and have some fun. Read about two staff members’ takes on summits inCape Town and Dakar.
- 30 days paid time off per year
- 12 weeks of parental leave
- Do you like travel? You will get significant travel experiences if so desired, including to off-the-beaten-path locations (where the real work happens). You will also get unique opportunities to travel internationally within your first two years, either to a different country for project travel, to a different country office, or both.
- If you are asked to move to a country that is not where you are from, you are eligible for one round-trip flight home per year, paid for by Dimagi.