Northwestern University is seeking a Project Manager to lead projects for the Administrative Systems team in the central Information Technology unit.
The Project Manager oversees high-priority projects, which often require considerable resources and high levels of functional integration. This position manages projects from original concept through final implementation. This role interfaces with all affected areas of the project, including end-users, distributors, and vendors. The Project Manager ensures adherence to quality standards and reviews project deliverables. This position may communicate with senior level management regarding the status of specific projects.
- Manages the initiation, planning, execution, monitoring/controlling and closing of Information Technology (IT) and related virtual and physical infrastructure projects in support of organizational area's strategic objectives and ongoing operations.
- Collaborates with project leadership to determine and document project objectives, scope, approach, resource requirements, budget, metrics, key performance indicators and stakeholders.
- Collaborates with project leadership to define project tasks, milestones, and deliverables that meet stated project objectives and conform to initiative methodology standards.
- Prepares and presents comprehensive project scope and definition documents.
- Develops and maintains project schedules, and ensures appropriate planning measures are taken including adjusting assignments as necessary to accommodate new issues, scope changes, new work estimates and/or resource availability constraints.
- Maintains and analyzes actual costs, time and scope to ensure delivery against the plan.
- Analyzes short- and long-term resource needs and recommends and/or adjusts staffing and resources appropriately.
- Monitors and communicates progress, revising task timelines and effort estimates based on project team members task-specific status updates.
- Develops communication plan for key messages, project updates, and key decisions that will be used throughout the project.
- Oversees good software development and project management practices for each of the project teams.
- Communicates and promulgates software development tracking standards and project management procedures to project team members.
- Works with technical lead to specify quality assurance process that will ensure the overall quality and continual improvement of the project deliverables.
- Develops and maintains risk analyses process, risk mitigation strategy process, and issue logs for the project.
- Provides work direction and/or supervises staff such as team members, subordinates, contractors, vendors, students, etc.
- Recommends staff hires/terminations.
- Coaches and mentors staff.
- Manages projects ensuring timelines and deliverables are met and meet expectations.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 2 years managing Information Technology (IT) and related virtual and physical infrastructure projects or other relevant experience required.
- Please see information highlighted below:
- Analytical: Critical thinking, decision making, judgment, problem solving, and troubleshooting.
- Project: Collaboration and teamwork, evaluate resources, facilitate collaboration, iterative and incremental development, organizational skills, planning, Scrum project framework and write proposals and project charters.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Ability to plan and schedule projects, including estimating time and resources, with an ability to track, manage, and report on projects as they are executed, adjusting as needed based on project experience.
- Ability to identify, track, and manage project risk.
- Ability to build and lead diverse cross functional project teams, including both functional and technical staff, as well as communications, training, and infrastructure staff, together with business owners and business users, toward delivering projects on time, in budget, that meet requirements.
- Ability to present ideas, both orally and in written form, to both analytical and technical staff as well as customers and to manage expectations related to project timelines and deliverables.
- Ability to manage a diverse portfolio of projects
- Understanding of project methodologies (traditional, agile, and hybrid), with an ability to apply methodology effectively and flexibly to projects.
- Ability to acquire and apply functional and technical knowledge of new business areas, new software applications, and new tools as needed to manage IT projects.
- Customer service and collaboration skills.
- Ability to work independently and provide appropriate status reporting to all relevant parties; ability to manage multiple concurrent tasks effectively.
- Analytical / business analysis / system analysis skills.
- Understanding of technical design and the technical build processes.
- Understanding of software testing.
- Understanding of project management tools and their application to project work.
- Understanding of common tools used in software development, including tools used for analysis, design, build, and test.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- 2 years’ experience managing IT projects as a project manager or project lead.
- 2 years’ experience working with enterprise level business application systems and with their constituencies.
- Experience working with Agile approaches to software development and Agile teams, including cross functional teams.
- Experience in a higher education institution or other non-profit organization.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- PMP certification
- Agile certification (Scrum, Kanban, Lean, Agile, etc)
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.