Brown University, Computing and Information Services seeks a talented and motivated Data Scientist to join the Data Science Practice, a central team of data experts who support a range of data-intensive projects across the University.
The Data Scientistâ??s primary role will be to collaborate with top researchers in economics at the Rhode Island Innovative Policy Lab (RIIPL) to design, maintain, and optimize secure database infrastructure that integrates sensitive data from various state agencies, and to develop predictive models that inform smart policy.
This is a two year fixed-term staff position, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance and available funding.
Please note: a cover letter, resume, and transcripts must be included in all applications.
- Bachelorâ??s degree and at least one year of data science or analytics experience.
- A track record of delivering data products or services, or conducting and publishing original research with big data.
- Expertise in many or all of the following areas:
- data mining, exploration and visualization;
- data management;
- software engineering.
- Working knowledge with programming languages (e.g. R, Python, Stata), SQL and databases, visualization tools (e.g. Tableau), and the Linux operating system.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities and deadlines.
- An eagerness to take ownership of challenging and open-ended assignments.
- Effective at communicating with audiences whose technical backgrounds vary widely.
- Advanced degree preferred in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Economics, Physics, or with a similar technical and computational emphasis.
- Experience working with sensitive data in a secure computing environment preferred.
- Expertise with statistics, machine learning, ETL processes, and/or data warehousing preferred.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background check and education verification.
Recruiting Start Date:2017-04-27-07:00
Job Posting Title:Data Scientist
Department:Office of CIO
Worker Sub-Type:Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.