Department: Information Technology Services (ITS)
Data Mart Analyst
George Mason University Information Technology Services (ITS)—located on the Fairfax, Va., campus—is seeking an experienced Data Mart Analyst to be part of Mason’s enterprise data warehouse team. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position will be working in a project team, developing and implementing data marts containing data extracted from the Ellucian Banner Administrative Systems, the legacy IDMS systems, and other decentralized systems that support the business of Mason. Project teams may include application staff, systems and LAN engineers, Field Services Support Staff, Administrative and Academic customers, and consultants.
Activities include: working closely with the customers to document reporting needs, assisting in developing requirements and designs for new data marts, setting up pilots and demonstrations of projects in progress, coding new applications, setting up QA testing and production implementation plans, and supporting production problems. Additionally this position will assist the reporting support team by providing technical direction and expertise to Mason report writers and providing functional and performance testing strategies for new and existing reports.
- Thorough knowledge of SQL (includes SQL tuning), PL/SQL, ETL techniques, and shell scripting;
- Strong knowledge in relational data modeling and database design skills;
- Strong analytical and effective problem-solving skills;
- Thorough knowledge of software development life cycle (SDLC), analysis and design techniques, and languages used by the data mart applications;
- Attention to detail;
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork and excellent communications skills;
- Ability to effectively communicate with the University’s IT management and technical staff;
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate JAD sessions to solicit detailed customers’ business requirements;
- Must have ability and good practice to document in a clear and logical manner—documentation applies to many areas such as translating business requirements into technical requirements documentation, ETL metadata documents, architecture documents, etc.; and
- Conduct walk-through sessions to validate requirements gathered through JAD sessions; this is necessary in order to make sure our design ideas are fully aligned with customers' needs.
- Knowledge in data warehousing dimensional data modeling techniques;
- Knowledge of full data warehousing development life cycle;
- Knowledge with BI products;
- Hands-on Oracle database development work experience in analysis, design, and coding of business applications; and
- Hands-on experience with data warehousing modeling, design, development and end-to-end implementation.
Salary commensurate with experience.
George Mason University is a great place to work where employees are given an opportunity to develop skills and expand horizons. Mason offers tuition waivers, telecommuting and flextime schedules, and facilities that will meet your physical fitness needs; and the campus environment is dynamic and ethnically and culturally diverse.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 00233z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by May 1, 2017; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information to include phone number and email address.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.