School/Unit: L. Douglas Wilder School of Government & Public Affairs
Department: Wilder Sch of Govt & Public Affairs
Purpose of Position:
The Director of SERL will provide administrative leadership to the Wilder School's Survey and Evaluation Research Laboratory, and be responsible for supporting innovative social, behavioral and economic research that translates into actionable knowledge to engage public policy discourses for greater societal benefit. He/she will coordinate quality research and evaluation support for governmental units, public and private nonprofit agencies, by conducting surveys, data analysis and written reports and coordinate the provision of programming and technical support for a variety of data warehousing needs for state and local governments and the nonprofit sector. This position will report to the Director of the Center for Public Policy in the L. Douglas Wilder School of Government & Public Affairs.
The selected individual will assist the CPP in developing new internal and external relationships while maintaining existing partnerships with various organizations, departments and agencies throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia and beyond. Qualified candidates must demonstrate an ability be able to employ SERL's two-fold approach towards accomplishing its organizational goals through: 1). Providing a full array of research service, including grant funded survey research and data analysis, that support faculty research efforts at an affordable fee (data collection and storage, design methodologies, analysis and reporting).
2). Providing fee-for-service research and evaluation support for state and local governments, non-profits and academic units.
The Director of SERL will supervise faculty, staff, and student workers in support of this position function.
Position Responsibilities include:
- serve as a SERL contact person for faculty, governmental units, and public and private nonprofit agencies regarding survey research and evaluation support
- coordinate programming including conducting surveys, data analysis and evaluation summary reports
- coordinate technical support for a variety of data warehousing needs for state and local governments and the nonprofit sector
- research and contact government agencies as needed to build networking for service delivery through grant and fee-for-service projects
- complete site visits as needed to reinforce partnerships with current and possible client partners
- maintain successful working relationships with faculty to support research opportunities
- manage survey and evaluation faculty, staff, and student workers and interns
- set departmental and individual employee goals and provide routine evaluations of progress toward these goals. Identify and promote professional growth opportunities for staff
- ensure adherence to professional standards and ethics of survey evaluation research
- develop and oversee budgets and manage SERL finances, policies and procedures
- evaluate research tools and emerging technologies to support efficient and effective service delivery
- conceptualize, develop and implement proactive methodologies for survey research, and electronic data management and evaluation
- communicate organizational activities and fiscal health to the Center for Public Policy
- maintain accurate records and data files on all SERL activities
- represent the Wilder School on University committees as requested
The ideal candidate will have a Master's degree or equivalent in the respective or related field along with experience supporting survey research and evaluation services at a major research university or other institution of higher education. Experience coordinating the delivery and management of research and evaluation program services will be considered appropriately. Effective written, verbal, and presentation skills are required as well as demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or a commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in the respective or related field along with experience supporting survey research and evaluation services at a major research university or other institution of higher education.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: www.vcujobs.comVirginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran's status, political affiliation or disability.