As stewards of nearly 14 percent of New York City’s land, NYC Parks builds and maintains clean, safe and accessible parks citywide and programs those sites with recreational, cultural and educational activities for people of all ages. Through this work, NYC Parks improves people’s lives, providing outlets for creative expression, opportunities for healthy recreation and exposure to the restorative beauty of the natural world.
The Capital Projects division, which is charged with the design and construction of parks, is looking for Junior Landscape Architects to join our team of over 100 landscape architects who work on nearly $1 billion dollars in active projects.
• Under supervision, review technical plans and specifications prepared by Capital Division in-house architects and engineers and prepare schematic, preliminary and final engineers estimates based on industry standards and data mined from historic agency bid information.
• Maintain a database of bid trends and establish guidelines to assist architects and engineers in the design phase.
• Establish project pricing guidelines for the purposes of budget forecasting. Provide Department of Parks and Recreation building stakeholders with order of magnitude project estimates for their use in prioritizing capital needs requests.
• Contribute effectively to the value engineering efforts of design and technical staff to bring design projects within budget.
• Analyze completed projects to compare estimated costs to actual costs to inform current estimating.
• Prepare or review engineers’ estimates for construction change order work.
• Assist the design job captain in analyzing contractor bids and contractor and/or consultant estimates.
• Actively contribute to the development of policies, procedures, systems and standards at the Capital Division to enhance cost effective design and construction.
• As directed, participate in bid review panels and/or represent the agency at external meetings such as value engineering reviews or project meetings.
• Develop and maintain a library of estimating resources for architects and engineers to use.
1. Eight years of full-time satisfactory experience in general construction estimating and a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent; or
2. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and a combination of the following sufficient to equal a total of eight years of experience, at least two years of which must be general construction estimating experience:
a) Full-time satisfactory experience in civil engineering, architecture or construction can be substituted for construction estimating experience on a year-for-year basis.
b) Education in civil engineering or architecture, leading to a Bachelor's degree in civil engineering or architecture, respectively, can be substituted for up to four years of required experience on the basis of 30 semester credits for one year of acceptable experience.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Candidate holds a permanent or non-competitive title.
2. Proficiency in general construction pricing, and the initiative to maintain knowledge of fluctuating prices.
3. A thorough understanding of how to accurately read construction documents and specifications.
4. Knowledge of prevailing wage laws and other applicable City procurement rules and regulations.
5. Extraordinary organizational skills.
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
7. Experience with NYC design and construction contracts.
8. Engineering degree and/or license.
9. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel. Basic level skills in AutoCAD.
10. Driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $78,000 - $88,000 plus excellent benefits
Posted Until Filled
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 285334
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.