Stoel Rives, LLP is seeking to fill the position of Director of Knowledge and Research Services to direct and manage the firm’s knowledge management and research services function. Incumbent will work closely with the Practice Group Leaders and Chief Information & Innovation Officer (CIO) to develop strategies, drive initiatives, and promote and monitor the effectiveness of the firm’s knowledge and legal research systems and services. This incumbent will also work closely with practice groups and other administrative departments to foster a culture of information and knowledge sharing. Position may be located in our Portland, Seattle, or Salt Lake City office.
The Director of Knowledge and Research Services reports directly to the CIO, and provides leadership, direction and support to the firm on all knowledge management and legal research initiatives. Incumbent also directly oversees the knowledge management and legal research staff, which includes those tasked with managing the legal knowledge contained within the firm’s physical library.
• Build and lead the firm’s Knowledge Management function, to include providing services and technologies that aid in enterprise search, legal research, work product retrieval / reuse, legal workflow automation, and other knowledge related activities
• Direct and manage the daily operations of all Knowledge and Research Services (KRS) department functions; ensure priorities are understood, and deadlines are being met and are aligned with the firm’s business objectives
• Identify solutions and lead projects that aid in data classification or categorization, information sharing, and the application of artificial intelligence solutions to automate both or make the information search, analysis and reuse processes more effective / efficient
• Determine and manage appropriate performance and staffing levels of all KRS functions
• Ensure policies and standard operating procedures are implemented and enforced in accordance with industry best practices, regulatory requirements, and firm/client business needs
• Review and prioritize projects, and provide regular and timely communication on issues and status
• Annual budgeting and monthly variance reporting on operating expenses
• Work collaboratively with Partners, Practice Group Leaders, Administrative Managers in other departments, and other legal professionals on all KRS initiatives and other firm projects
• Present business proposals to senior firm leadership on knowledge management and research services on strategic solutions to business problems
• Provide technical training, consulting and presentations when necessary
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned