Chemical Packager/ Helper Operator - Temporary - Kankakee, IL-1700199
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BASF is the world's leading chemical company: The Chemical Company. Its portfolio ranges from chemicals, plastics, performance products and crop protection products to oil and gas. We combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. Through science and innovation, we enable our customers in nearly every industry to meet the current and future needs of society. Our products and solutions contribute to conserving resources, ensuring nutrition and improving quality of life. We have summed up this contribution in our corporate purpose: We create chemistry for a sustainable future.
This position is temporary, planned to last approximately 9 months, but could become permanent due to attrition.
The Chemical Plant Operator will manufacture quality finished goods and manage hazardous raw materials in a safe and efficient manner by follow operating procedures, safety procedures, regulatory requirements and site standards and policies to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the site.
In addition, the following activities will be performed:
- Responsible for packaging finished product, labeling product, & preparing product for delivery or warehousing. To include analytical testing.
- Ensures the packaging line is set up, that the appropriate packaging materials are in the area to be used and ensures the area is cleaned up prior to the shift turnover.
- Responsible for assuring quality work and appearance of finished product packaging is acceptable to customer or BASF specifications, and minimizing rework.
- Takes corrective actions when nonconformance occurs based on customer or BASF specifications
- May perform work on various packaging lines on the site to ensure the packaging schedules are met.
- Conduct routine inspections and monitoring of operating packaging equipment.
- Troubleshoot and/or identify equipment malfunctions and coordinates with maintenance and/or the Shift Supervisor to institute corrective actions
- Work from both verbal & written instructions of Shift Supervisor.
- Data entry for documentation/record purposes into SAP, excel, batch records, etc.
- Assist with the loading and unloading of raw materials and finished product to/from tank trucks, railcars, totes, or drums as needed.
- Utilize power industrial trucks to move materials, equipment or supplies as required.
- Prepare equipment for operation, maintenance, & cleaning.
- Responsible for all aspects of personal safety, product quality, as well as, filling, loading, and unloading systems and their auxiliary equipment such as bins, filters, blend tanks, and utility equipment for air, nitrogen, cooling water, and steam
- May perform work in various areas on the site to ensure the production schedules are met.
- Works with the Field Operator to assist as needed to meet production demands.
- Assistance to plant during outages, and maintain operating condition of key equipment
- Perform assigned duties as outlined by supervisor, management or designee.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Knowledge & Experience
- High school education or GED.
- Ability to achieve a minimum score on pre-placement aptitude tests.
- Participate in all required safety training
- Familiarity with safety practices and techniques relating to the chemical industry (e.g. Safe Work Permits, LOTO, Confined Space Entry, Hot Work). This includes writing permits & SEC's.
- A basic understanding and awareness of chemicals and their nature, hazards, safety and health issues etc. (MSDS's, use of PPE etc.)
- Working 12-hr rotating shift, and overtime as required
- Maintain good housekeeping in work areas and assist in general cleanup as needed
- Contribute to the success of plant goals & objectives through participation in activities to further advance safety, quality, costs, productivity and morale throughout the plant;
- A working knowledge of computers & the MS Windows operating system.
- Support and participate in the site ISO 9000, PSM, RMP and RCMS programs.
- Support & participate in the BASF Process Safety Program (i.e. Zero Incident Mindset, complete training, report all incidents, participate in investigations etc.).
- Prior SAP knowledge
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, Power point, etc)
- A working knowledge of the mechanics & operation of different types of process equipment (e.g. pumps, valves, agitators, instrumentation, controls etc.).
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude, troubleshooting and decision making skills.
- Ability to multi-task and monitor/control a number of different activities simultaneously.
Primary Location: US-IL-Kankakee
Function: PROD - Production, Maintenance & Technicians
Job Type: Standard
Organization: (EN)-Nutrition & Health