If it impacts technology, IEEE has it covered. We publish technical journals, organize conferences and develop technology standards that help technological professionals exchange ideas, expand their knowledge, and move forward in their fields. With more than 400,000 members, IEEE is the world’s largest professional association advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. We are a catalyst for exciting breakthroughs in computing, sustainable energy systems, aerospace, communications, robotics, healthcare, and many other disciplines that improve the quality of life. Discover your future as part of the IEEE team. Consider the following opportunity:
Program Manager, Technical Activities – Communications Society
New York City, NY
Apply at https://ieee.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=IT%200000012F
The IEEE Communications Society (Com Soc) is seeking an experiences Program Manager for several new initiatives. The incumbent will primarily be responsible for timely and on-budget delivery of projects across multiple tracks including education, industry outreach, community building, standards, conferences and publications providing leadership and strategic direction with IEEE and ComSoc volunteers and staff. The incumbent’s ultimate accountability is for the establishment, growth and success of these initiatives, resulting in IEEE’s becoming positioned as the go-to source for subject matter expertise across each. This role reports to the ComSoc Industry Outreach Director. The incumbent will have no direct reports, but may be required to onboard and/or manage contracted resources.
This position supports the IEEE ComSoc goal to be a global force in technology for industry. Through day-to-day initiative management, this position contributes to the financial goals of IEEE ComSoc. To fulfill these functions, this position must:
- Provide staff leadership of each initiative offering strategic direction and day-to-day management in conjunction with volunteers.
- Develop and manage budgets for the initiatives.
- Report on and maintain accountability for the initiatives’ progress toward target outcomes across multiple tracks and play a leading role in removing obstacles to achieving those outcomes.
- Propose and brainstorm new revenue-generating opportunities that may fall outside established tracks to the Board, provide a strategy for achieving these opportunities, and maintain accountability for end results.
- Provide active proposals to volunteer and staff leadership with respect to the appropriate approaches to achieve desired outcomes.
- Actively interface in the context of achieving these outcomes with the initiative’s multiple internal IEEE stakeholders (societies, councils, technical committees and others).
- Provide outreach to external organizations as required to achieve the target initiative outcomes.
- Play a leading role in moving forward new-publication proposals.
- Carry out gap analysis in available education material and support each initiative’s Chairs in introducing new material.
- Deliver standards workshops as needed and ensure existing standards proposals are moved through required ComSoc and IEEE Standards Boards and Committees.
- Prepare funding applications to various IEEE committees, societies and associations. Develop strategies for securing the funding and lead status readouts as required throughout the year.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or related field.
- PMP certification strongly preferred.
- Minimum 7 years’ related work experience including project and budget management.
- Demonstrated experience executing multiple successful new business projects and products across Operating Units.
- Experience working with professional associations strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience developing strategic working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders at all levels of an organization.
- Demonstrated success generating, executing and managing multiple project plans under dynamic conditions.
- Proven ability to prepare successful materials such as business plans and project summaries.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and interact positively and effectively with applicants, registrants and volunteers at all levels including board members and assigned committees; all levels of IEEE and IEEE ComSoc staff; industry leaders; academics and vendors.
- Must remain current with industry trends by reading relevant materials including newsletters, publications, blog, etc.
- Must be a technologically savvy knowledge worker who seeks out technology solutions to business challenges.
- Must have a strong knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite, Google apps and web browsing.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally. Occasional weekend travel required.
Join us in an environment where people look forward to coming to work! IEEE offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, 401(k) plan with company match, a defined contribution retirement plan, a tuition reimbursement program, flexible spending accounts, company paid life insurance, and a business casual dress code.
Please apply online by going to this URL: https://ieee.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=IT%200000012F
Only those resumes that go through the URL from the web address will be considered. NO THIRD PARTIES PLEASE.
For information on work demands and conditions required for this position, please consult the reference document, “Physical, Mental, and Work Environment Standards for IEEE Positions.” This position is classified under 60% Category I – office positions and up to 40% Category II – mobile positions.
IEEE is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
Visit www.ieee.org to view details about open positions in one of our four offices: Los Alamitos, CA; New York City; Piscataway, NJ; & Washington, DC.
The IEEE is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.