The Comcast Center of Excellence for Security Innovation (CSI) in the School of Engineering at the University of Connecticut conducts cutting edge research in hardware, software and network security in collaboration with COMCAST. CSI projects cover cybersecurity research, service, education and outreach. Service projects include the assessment of multiple security platforms and IoT devices while education is focused on transferring assessment methodologies and best practices to Comcast’s work force. Outreach activities occur under the auspices of CyberSEED, a national and annual conference and competition (https://cyberseed.org) focused on Cybersecurity. CSI seeks to hire a Project Lead who will be responsible for the management of the outreach and service activities and the coordination with Comcast and industrial partners on various center projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage multiple large, complex projects involving security and IT from beginning to end.
- Document project scope, goals and deliverables and work with faculty, students, Comcast staff and partners to deliver on those projects.
- Embrace an agile methodology (e.g., Scrum) for all project related activities, i.e., assume the responsibilities of Product Owner.
- Manage operations of all outreach related activities, engaging with Comcast and industry partners for the logistics and operation of a multiday conference and competition, from inception to execution. Display an ability to identify stakeholders, issues and engage in problem resolution pro-actively.
- Research and effectively apply agile methodologies for tracking all artifacts and activities throughout the entire project life-cycle. Namely:
- Act as liaison with Project Sponsors to ensure that their requirements are met.
- Ensure that project documents are complete, current and stored appropriately.
- Ensure that resources are identified and allocated for all phases of the project.
- Use a variety of techniques to communicate with sponsors, technical staff, functional staff and stakeholders.
- Identify required resources and assign individual responsibilities.
- Interact with scrum master for all projects, related tasks and schedule management.
- Hold regular meetings with staff and other team members to foster team building, address issues and concerns, share information and review progress.
- Ensure compliance of staff through audit and enforcement of security policies in the lab.
- Adhere to change management processes during the project life cycle.
- Conduct lessons learned / retrospectives for each project to alter future project handling.
- Perform other duties as required by the lab.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or MIS or an appropriate discipline.
- A proven in-depth knowledge of project management (e.g., agile methodologies such as Scrum or Kanban).
- Five to ten years of progressively responsible project management.
- Experience with Change Management processes.
- Experience interacting with a technical team in an implementation environment (DevOps).
- Experience working closely with a diverse customer base and managing customer expectations.
- Proven written and verbal communications skills, effective presentation skills and sound decision making.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in appropriate discipline.
- Seven to ten years of highly technical and progressively responsible technical experience.
- Background in cybersecurity.
- An understanding of IT Architecture and Technical Infrastructure.
- Strong understanding of current trends in applications systems design, architecture, tools and utilities.
- Strong predictive analysis, specifically on software development/deployment projects.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Experience with agile tools for project management (e.g., Pivota, Slack).
- Experience with IT tools such as git, stash, Jenkins, Xen, etc.
- Experience with security tools such as Kali-Linux, Metasploit, nessus, nmap, etc.
- Current PMI-ACP certification.
- Five years of program management experience.
- Management or supervisory experience.
This is a full-time, 11-month position based on available funding, subject to annual renewal. Salary will be commensurate with successful candidate's background and experience. The University offers a competitive salary and outstanding medical and retirement benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waiver at the University of Connecticut.
Please upload a letter of interest, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Screening of applications will begin immediately. Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2017303)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on April 24, 2017.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.