Moving Forward Bridge Curriculum Instructor & Career Coach
We are looking for an outstanding bridge curriculum trainer and employment coach with a heart for those who need second chances to facilitate our contextualized academic bridge curriculum and guide graduates through the process of successfully transitioning to a certificate or degree program, passing the high school equivalency exam (HSE), if needed; and/or qualify for an entry level employment. We’re looking for someone with an established record of success in the classroom; who has developed and uses highly effective teaching strategies that meet students’ diverse needs and that promote the acquisition and application of knowledge and the development of critical and creative thinking and problem solving skills. In addition, we want someone who will engage in and model intellectual curiosity and express passion for career development and personal transformation.
What you’ll do
- Use NLEN’s Transportation, Distribution & Logistics (TDL) Bridge curriculum and materials as the basis for classroom lesson and activities.
- Develop and shares class syllabus with students at the beginning of the course; ensure class expectations and objectives are understood.
- Deliver instruction to improve students’ numeracy and literacy skills through lessons contextualized to TDL career related content. Incorporate career development and college readiness skills.
- Employ a variety of student-centered teaching methods that stage classroom exploration of open questions that allow students to develop critical thinking and verbal communication skills.
- Act as facilitator, using a combination of large and small-group activities to explore issues that are relevant to the student and their Focus Area of choice.
- Apply technology skills to effectively use curriculum and on-line curriculum materials; assist students in developing basic computer skills and using Microsoft Office and email software.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet the students’ varying needs, abilities, and interests.
- Work to optimize student outcomes by monitoring student progress on an ongoing basis using oral and written assessments, standardized tests, and classroom observations.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records including daily attendance.
- Work collaboratively with Customized Skills Training staff to plan and coordinate effective instructional and transition strategies.
- Screen clients during monthly Intake and Assessments to determine suitability for program and likelihood of successful placement in the TDL sector and other sectors.
- Conduct individual coaching sessions.
- Prepare Individual Employment Plan (IEP) in order to discuss realistic short-and/or long term goal(s) with clients.
- Maintain case notes of all activities in NLEN’s electronic database for all clients.
- Maintain accurate client records and files with up-to-date information and supportive documentation.
- Attend regular staff meetings with Business Development, Workforce Development, and Financial Opportunity Center staff to stay informed on program initiatives, policies, and procedures.
- Assist with program recruitment and administration.
Who you are
- You have experience in providing contextualized instruction, as well as related coursework and professional development.
- You have experience in career development, job development and/or job placement required.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in education, counseling, social services or equivalent experience.
- You are available to facilitate day and evenings classes.
- You are very comfortable and adept at using computer and mobile computing technology like WiFi, laptops, smart phones, Microsoft Office products, Google web based products, databases, etc.
- You have the ability to effectively transition between multiple work locations.
- You are a strong facilitator and coach who flourishes with mentoring, developing and nurturing raw talent and individuals with limited work experience.
- You are highly motivated and entrepreneurial and willing to thrive in a start-up atmosphere, with the ability to be flexible as we grow the program.
- You think strategically and can act quickly on your feet.
- You have great written and oral communication skills and are able to interact with any audience regardless of background.
Who we are
The North Lawndale Employment Network is a highly acclaimed urban workforce development non-profit (501c3). We know the United States incarcerates more people than any other country in the world. Today, 2.3 million people are living behind bars in the United States, and 90% of these men and women will return to their neighborhoods and their families with a priority of seeking employment driving the unemployment rate (19% unemployment in North Lawndale). We also know that TDL sector is an Illinois Workforce Investment Board targeted sector, as it offers good jobs with advancement opportunities, along with growth across the state. A recent Ajilon Jobs Report shows national year over year growth of 8,900 jobs in transportation and warehousing in November 2016, with a total of 60,600 jobs added in the sector over the past year.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. When emailing, please place ‘Moving Forward Bridge Instructor and Coach’ on the subject line.