Requisition ID: P01479819
Department: Information Technology Services
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: University Park Campus
We are currently seeking a Senior Technical Project Specialist to join our Enterprise Data and Analytics department within Information Technology Services. The Senior Technical Project specialist will be tasked with providing specialized IT Services in the management, coordination, scheduling and delivery of large and/or complex data-related projects. The successful candidate will be responsible for creating and managing comprehensive project schedules and plans as well as defining and maintaining the scope to ensure that changes are formalized through a documented change control process.
The ideal candidate should possess experience managing multiple projects and tasks at the same time, as well as adjusting to changing priorities in a fast paced environment. He/she should also have experience in one or more areas of data management, such as data modeling, integration, transformation, quality, warehousing, visualization, etc. A minimum of three years of experience as a project leader managing IT related projects is required. Experience in technology consulting is strongly preferred.
Information Technology Services (ITS) is committed to providing information technology (IT) services and support to the university. ITS provides essential, university-wide services such as:
- Enterprise information systems
- University wired and wireless networks
- Educational Technology
- Research Computing
- IT Security
- Must have a Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Must possess a minimum of 5 years of project management experience
- Must possess a minimum of 3 years of experience as a project leader managing IT projects
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and facilitation skills
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple projects and tasks at the same time, as well as adjusting to changing priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated strong personal mastery, including ethics, interpersonal skills, and engage in continuous learning.
- Demonstrated ability to manage cross functional teams.
- Proven ability to drive deliverables and manage escalations and risk.
- Typically possess knowledge of change management discipline as it related to project management
- Typically possesses experience in technology consulting.
- Typically possesses a certification in information technology project management
- Provides specialized IT services in the management, coordination, scheduling and delivery of large and/or complex technology-based specialized IT project(s) driving projects through various stages of the project lifecycle including project initiation, planning, execution and closure
- Creates and manages comprehensive, realistic project schedules and plans in order to measure, manage and report on the delivery of projects on time and within budget. Reviews and evaluates project progress and recommends specific actions.
- Defines and maintains project scope. Determines need to change project scope and schedules. Manages project scope to ensure that changes are formalized through a documented change control process.
- Supervises project resources, as appropriate, to manage the completion of project deliverables through each stage of the project lifecycle. Schedules and assigns work to team members. Reviews team members' work and makes adjustments as needed.
- Builds project teams and identifies stakeholders. Communicates regularly and effectively with stakeholders, technical staff, senior level management and customers regarding project goals, objectives, deliverables, plans and status throughout the project.
- Provides a variety of project management and consulting services in such areas as data analysis, reporting and research including evaluation of software tools, new technologies and process requirements. Conducts research on new technologies as required
- Responds creatively to challenges and negotiations with staff, management, clients and vendors to successfully drive the project to closure.
- Develops and administers project budget. Provides forecasts and projections used to develop budget. Prepares financial status reports, as needed.
- Manages and supports the delivery of project documentation including budgets, business cases, scopes of work, memos of understanding, issue logs, operational turnover documentation and specialty documentation as required by each project.
- Provides leadership, guidance and direction to staff performing similar work.
- Stays informed of new developments and technologies by reading journals and other pertinent publications, maintaining contact with vendors, and participating in professional organizations, meetings and seminars
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Bachelor's degree
- 7+ years of experience in project management.
- 5+ years of experience as a project leader managing IT projects.
- Experience in technology consulting.
- Experience in one or more areas of data management, such as data modeling, integration, transformation, quality, warehousing, visualization, etc.
- PMP or similar certification.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Bachelor’s degree Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Field of Expertise:
Industry experience that includes at least 3 years as a project leader managing information technology projects. Broad-based knowledge and experience of information technology. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Excellent data analysis and manipulation skills for the creation and packaging of reports for management. Experience managing multiple projects and tasks at the same time. Solid analytical and facilitation skills. Skilled in a variety of desktop software.